Monday, December 29, 2008

assume the position

physical fitness is the first requisite of happiness - Joseph Pilates


After spending an hour at the Lululemon store today buying loads of new workout clothes, I went to the gym. After a few too many weeks of not going, and on top of eating Mom's cooking and drinking Dad's wine for the past 2 weeks, it was long over due. And while I was at the gym, I stumbled upon the Pilates room and as soon as I saw the reformer and chair, my heart skipped a beat. I ran right over and assumed the position.
It felt so great getting back into the positions and routine. It's been over a year since I've regularly been doing Pilates and that's just sad. There was a time when I was doing regular classes - twice a week for years. Nowadays, I do the occasional mat routine to keep up with the exercises and make sure I don't forget all that I've learned, but there's nothing like being strapped into the machines and stretching, pulling and contorting your body into all sorts of odd positions that just feels sooo right. It's the best feeling in the world. Such a great feeling, in fact, that I wonder why I just don't go to school to become an instructor. It's a big dream of mine...and a dream that I don't want to not come true. One day, I just might have to drop everything that seems like it's more important, and really pursue my trainers license. I don't want to look back on my life with regrets or what if's or excuses. I want to live it to the fullest, in every way possible.

No comments: