Friday, September 12, 2008

bad news comes in three's...bad news #2

My friend Nicholas Aaron Madrazo died on September 9, 2008. He was a Lieutenant in the US Marine Corps, serving in Afghanistan. Him and 3 other soldiers died in a roadside bombing.


I am still shocked and stunned when I think about his death. It is tragic and unbelievable. When I heard the news Tuesday night, I didn't believe it. I wanted to be angry with the reasons he was over in the middle east and with the people who killed him but Nic believed in his heart that he was meant to serve his country this way. He believed that this is what he was called to do. He was a true patriot and a soldier of strength and courage. He is a hero, no matter what your views on the war are.



I've grown up with Nic since 6th grade. He was my first boyfriend in 8th grade ( and by "boyfriend" I mean we talked on the phone at night and saw one movie and dated for about a month before he had his friend break up with me at Disneyland. ha!) We went to church together and had a great group of friends. I have memories from taking trips to Whistler, California, and summer camp every year and they are all great memories. We ended up going to the same college together and had a mutual group of friends there. Even though over the last few years we haven't stayed in touch as frequently as we should have, every time we ran into each other, we'd always end up reminiscing about the days when we were little care-free kids! I laugh when I think about his sense of humor, wit, kind heart, and openness. He was always someone who I could talk to about anything and he'd really listen. Every time you saw him, his smile would light up the room and his joyful spirit was contagious. I will miss him.

Nic, I'm so thankful that I've been a part of your life - a life that has obviously touched so many people all around the world. Your family and friends are in my prayers, as we're all feeling this great loss. The memories of you will never go away. I will carry them with me always and smile when I think of you... you are in a far better place now than I could ever imagine. You will never be forgotten.


Someday I'll see that bright, smiling face again!

No comments: