Sunday, March 02, 2008

Sunday rituals & drugs

Barnes & Noble is my drug-dealer and Vogue is my drug of choice.

Most Sunday mornings are spent sitting outside of Cafe Ladro on 15th with my chum (Megan). We sip our respective tea and double tall extra dry cappuccino as we watch the people walk by with their cute dogs, hipster threads, hungover stares, in search of the same end as us - caffeine.


After getting "our fix" we go to to the closest literary mecca (also the least "green" place in Seattle)...a book store. I could spend hours in a book store wandering up and down the aisles, searching for my newest addiction. Today was solely for the purpose of attaining Vogue. Vogue is one of the few magazines I continually buy and don't need/care about whether the content is good enough for a purchase. I've cut down on my magazine obsession over the years but Vogue will never be forsaken. I should have a subscription, but there's something refreshing about walking up to it sitting there on display and purchasing. Also, you never doubt the content in Vogue. The issue I bought today has Drew Barrymore on the cover (sold!), 660 pages of spring fashion must-haves (sold!) and it could double as a 10 lb weight for getting my daily exercise regimen completed (sold!). There's nothing better than Vogue on a sunny Sunday afternoon, if I do say so myself. After I purchase Vogue, there is no possible way I will be able to not rush home, curl up on the couch and begin reading. From the moment of purchase, it calls out to me. Yearning to be read and re-read... and re-read.

How do you read a magazine? Front to back? Back to front? Skim it first and then reread it in depth? I have a way of going about reading magazines that never fails me. First, I open it up and skim every single page, front to back. Then I go back and study the advertisements and look at the clothing, font, and colors that are full of inspiration. For the third and not even close to final time, I read every article from beginning to end. The art of reading Vogue can take a couple hours, which is why it's best to save it for a Sunday afternoon.

No comments: