Thursday, November 23, 2006

What I'm thankful for...

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone....

As all of you are stuffing your faces with turkey, sweet cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie and mash-potatoes, I'm laying in bed, feeling at bit hungry myself, wishing I was at home getting a nice home cooked meal. It was odd going through my day today without a word of the Thanksgiving holiday being spoken - except for when Kevin said Happy Thanksgiving to me! Even though I'm in a country that doesn't celebrate thanksgiving, I found myself wanting to remind my co-workers of the holiday, and went around asking them what they were thankful for. It puts things into perspective though when you have to remind your co-workers what today is -it really makes you realize that it is just a day. It's one day out of a year where everyone is giving the time out of our hectic holiday schedules to sit back and relax with family and friends and reminisce on what we're thankful for. We also get to eat A-LOT!...which is the tradition I'm missing out on. I'm sure we all say this every year, but for me, it rings so true that not just today, but everyday we should be thankful for the blessings God has given us. As i'm over here living and working in Scotland, making it all on my own with much less than was "normal" living in Seattle, I find myself humbled and thankful for the things we so easily take for granted in life. When a clothes dryer, dishwasher, constant hot water, vehicle to drive around in, having your family a 30 minute drive away, your own bed, and more becomes your normal life and your "necessities" and then they are taken away from you, you being to look at life a bit differently. I've seen that many of the things I had before are not needed. I can be much more thankful for the simple things now such as washing my face at night with warm water, or being happy my clothes dry on the line in under 48 hours instead of the normal 3 or 4 days, and getting daily exercise by walking everywhere instead of driving. And I'm also soo thankful for modern technology, without it I would be missing each one of you who call, email, and leave me wonderful comments through this blog so much more. I'm so thankful for each one of you in my life. Being far from home has made me value your friendships and the impact each of you have made on my life. I'm thankful that I have been given the chance to move to a different country and change my outlook on life and be even more thankful than I was before. As some material things have gone, love, friendship and gratitude has filled my days and I thank God and each one of you for that.

Now, back to talking about food! :P As I mentioned before, I had to work today, and Kevin also works late on Thursdays, so my big Thanksgiving dinner for him and his friends was canceled. And since I can't just let this holiday go by without some sort of traditional food to remind myself of home, tomorrow after work I'm going to come home and bake a pumpkin pie! I found a shop yesterday that sells all sorts of American food imports such as Hershey's syrup, Skippy peanut butter and Pumpkin Pie mix!! I'll let you all know how it goes.

Enjoy your feasts, family's and friends. May God bless each and every one of you on this day and every other day to come!

Now Eat Up!

No comments: