Wednesday, November 15, 2006

i've been a busy bee

whew....i'm so tired after a long, hard days work! Yesterday I was up at 6am to work at the coffee shop from 7 till 3 and then today it was 9 to 5 and fortunately, I switched shifts with someone tomorrow and I get another 9 to 5, instead of 7 till 3. All that being said, I've been a seriously tired girl. I wish I could come home after work, take a cat nap and then be good to go for the rest of the night, but it hasn't been like that! I go to bed around 11 and I'm out like a light all night. Which is why I have been a horrible friend and haven't talked to anyone in AGES! Now maybe everyone see's a glimpse of how crappy long-distance relationships are. ;) I have enjoyed coming home from a long day and NOT having homework though. I'm not one of those people who hate their day job and want to go back to school. OH NO! Not me! I quite enjoy a long hard day and then coming home and putting it all behind you. And I also love my job! Everyone I work with is great and we all get along quite well. I'm not known as the "new girl" anymore and since they've been hiring on a lot of people at once, I actually told someone what to do today! I was quite proud of myself! I've learn the art of the perfect espresso shot and soon I will learn how to pour milk into the cup and make neat shapes like leaves and hearts. Ohhh...the joys of coffee making. :) My boss quite likes me as well, which is NEVER a bad thing. We "wind each other up" (British way of saying they're being sarcastic) quite easily and then he makes me go clean out something meaningless. He's got the upper hand i guess. :)

A little update on my flat situation...I still haven't found a permanent residence but I'm close. I was so close the first week I got here because I met a Canadian girl who was a part of the program I'm in as well and by fate we met and then decided to be flatmates....well, a week or so ago she came down with a bad case of tonsillitis or strep-throat and basically was unable to look for flats or work during that time and i think the stress and money-loss took over and she has decided to go back home to Canada and try this again in the spring or summer. So, unfortunately I am one friend down, and one flatmate down. There are other prospects though and I'm waiting and hoping things will fall into place as they are meant to. I have faith that they will.

So basically besides working at the coffee shop, I spend my days off sipping peppermint tea at the Starbucks (shhhh...don't tell my boss I go to Starbucks) in Borders and read British gossip mags. They're basically the same as the American ones, but I don't know who anyone is, but I'm learning. I've also been shopping a lot, but only bought a pair of Chuck Taylors to wear for work. Shopping is soooo much more fashionable and affordable over here. Top Shop, H&M, and even Urban Outfitters are some of the places I go to religiously and wish I had loads of money to buy all these cute things. But when I think about it, i wear jeans, chuck taylors, and a black t-shirt that says "STAFF" on the back to work 5 days a week, so it doesn't make much sense to buy a whole lot of cute clothes that I'll barely wear.

Oh...another thing that's been on my mind - Thanksgiving!! Obviously they don't celebrate that over here, so most likely I will be working on that day and even Kevin has to work late that day, so it looks like my big, thanksgiving feast that I was going to cook for everyone over here will not be happening. I could defiantly go for some pumpkin pie and mash potatoes right now! No one understands!!

Well... I need to go and cook some dinner and enjoy my night in....or maybe it will be a night out? Who knows.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi BETH
I been really busy too!
But
On my last soccer game we won! It was our LAST game and we were in 1st place so we Are The CHAMPIONS of our soccer division!
But
Now we have to play in the turniment where we play teams in Bronze, Siver (witch i am in now), and GOLD! I am scared of the gold teams but we are going to wip Bronze!
I hope that you are having as fun of a time as ME!
SYL! (See You Later!)